For more than 150 years, Eastbourne College’s Oxbridge programme has been helping pupils secure places on the most competitive courses in some of the world’s most prestigious universities. Over the last 10 years, the College has seen pupils secure places at Trinity College, Cambridge and Christ Church Oxford on courses including Medicine, Economics, Mathematics, Law, English, Philosophy and History.
The college and my mentors were extremely supportive of my application and devoted significant amounts of personalised help that proved useful in every stage of my application.
Henry T., University of Oxford offer, Economics and History 2024
The Programme includes:
- A personal mentor assigned to each pupil who provides individual support as they prepare for the rigorous application process. Preparation includes practice interviews, one-to-one discussions, guidance on the UCAS personal statement process and support and tutoring for the all-important admissions tests.
- Organised visits to Oxford and/or Cambridge Colleges to experience the charm and rich history of these inspiring universities. The trips always include the support of Old Eastbournians who are either current students or alumni of Oxford or Cambridge. The College ensures that they are on hand to pass on advice and their own experiences.
- Seminars delivered by the Head of Academic Scholars, covering topics such as the application process, super-curricular activities, making a competitive application, how to choose a college, interviews, personal statements, entrance tests, and written work.
- An invitation to join the Casson society where pupils present their own ideas, read papers and enjoy a number of talks from distinguished guests.
The programme is challenging and stimulating in equal measure as we support and encourage our aspiring Oxbridge pupils, and those applying for other highly-competitive universities, to stretch their:
- Academic excellence
- Passion for their subject
- Intellectual curiosity
- Critical thinking skills
- Communication and research skills
- Initiative and adaptability
- Interview and exam technique and performance.
Where can I find out more?
In the first instance, take a look at the following websites:
Oxford University and Cambridge University
Unifrog which compares every university course
Oxplore and Myheplus which challenge those at school with debates and ideas that go beyond what is covered in the classroom.