Our latest visit by the ISI inspectors was in May 2023 for a compliance spot check with the Independent Schools’ regulations (ISSRs) and the National Minimum Standards for Boarding.
Since it was focused only on compliance, regulations are only ‘met’ or ‘not met’ – there are no gradings or value judgements and the inspectors found us meeting all the standards.
Pupils confirm that incidents of poor behaviour are relatively few and they feel safe in school.
Pupils speak assuredly about bullying; they are aware of what to do if they believe it to be happening and are confident that the school will deal firmly with any instances.
The school’s safeguarding arrangements are implemented effectively to ensure the welfare of pupils, including boarders. There is a positive culture of safeguarding across all aspects of school life. Discussions with both staff and pupils confirm that leaders inculcate an atmosphere of inclusivity where all opinions matter and where all concerns are listened to and acted upon swiftly.
In June 2021, Eastbourne College achieved the best possible rating, ‘excellent’ in the Educational Quality Inspection as well as meeting all eight Regulatory Compliance Inspection standards with no recommendations for improvement.
Key Findings 2021
The quality of the pupils’ academic and other achievements is excellent:
- pupils are enthusiastically committed to achieving academic success and do so
- pupils enjoy excellent levels of success in a wide variety of co-curricular activities
- pupils’ communication skills are excellent; they speak articulately, debate confidently, and apply these skills effectively across the curriculum
- pupils demonstrate mature and positive attitudes towards their learning
The quality of the pupils’ personal development is excellent:
- pupils demonstrate remarkably high levels of self confidence, self reliance, and resilience
- pupils have very purposeful and supportive relationships with each other and across the whole school community
- pupils’ spiritual understanding and appreciation of the non-material aspects of life are excellent
- pupils have great respect for the diversity of the school community
archive of isi reports
The quality of the pupils' academic and other achievements is excellent. The quality of the pupils' personal development is excellent.