Working with local and national organisations to broaden pupils’ opportunities
Eastbourne College works with a number of organisations, ranging from other educational establishments to creative practitioners and national arts organisations such as Culture Shift, Glyndebourne Education, Lewes Live Literature and Rambert Dance Company. We also work with individual artists and organisations, such as the RSA, to give lecture, project, recital and workshop opportunities for our pupils.
There is a vibrant, rolling programme of professional artists’ work and work from our art pupils exhibited in the Birley Centre. Visiting artists are encouraged to offer workshop opportunities and masterclasses to our pupils wherever possible.
We also work with local community organisations and charities and are keen to foster links with local schools and colleges, such as the Eastbourne Schools Partnership.
Eastbourne Schools Partnership
Benefiting pupils and the community
Founded in 2014, the Eastbourne Schools Partnership (ESP) comprises 12 schools and colleges. Together they account for 14,000 children living in Eastbourne and the surrounding area. The ESP members are: Causeway School, the Cavendish School, the Eastbourne Academy, Eastbourne College, Gildredge House, Hailsham Community College, Moira House, Ratton School, Seaford Head School, St Catherine’s College, Sussex Downs College and Willingdon Community School.
The ESP is a partnership of schools and colleges located in the Eastbourne area. By linking our commitment, enthusiasm, expertise and resources, we aim to develop projects and ideas that excite, inspire and offer creative opportunities for children and young people. In so doing, we hope to enable our pupils to work together for mutual benefit and the benefit of others across our town.
‘The Eastbourne Schools Partnership is a shining example of schools working together for the benefit of the pupils and the wider community’
2018-19 highlights include:
- Medical careers workshop with Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- Convention KS3 conference for 25 schools including ESP schools
- Sports degree workshop for year 10 pupils with Brighton University
- Joint ESP trip to St John’s College Oxford
- Your Town Your Ideas Your Future conference with ESP pupils presenting their ideas to 70 business and civic leaders including Stephen Lloyd MP, Lord Lucas and leader of Eastbourne Borough Council David Tutt
- Making connections workshop for ESP ‘scholars’ to develop thinking skills together
- Roy’s Homework Club, with College Lower Sixth pupils weekly mentoring GCSE pupils from Cavendish School, Eastbourne Academy and Willingdon Community School. Emily Beer, headteacher of Willingdon Community school said: ‘I am very grateful to the sixth form pupils of Eastbourne College. All our Year 11 pupils achieved a strong pass in the GCSE subject in which they were mentored. These pupils wouldn’t have achieved the grades they did in their key areas without Eastbourne College’s input.’
- Weekly MFL Conversation Club with College pupils working with Ratton GCSE pupils to improve their spoken French, German and Spanish
- Revision sessions, with College pupils helping ESP pupils in GCSE English and maths
- Tough Team Challenge afternoon run by College CCF pupils to raise self-esteem to local ‘hard-to-reach’ children
- Dance workshops with Rambert Dance Company, working with artist-in-residence Lindy Dunbar
- Aspiring leaders training afternoon for ESP teachers
- Joint textiles workshop with artist Catherine Stonard